Let’s say you own a beautiful piece of art–a painting, a gorgeous crystal vase, or perhaps an antique sculpture. How much is it worth? You’re probably not sure. There’s a way to find out, though. Experts tell us that when it comes to placing value on a beautiful piece of art, that value depends on three things:
- Who made it
- How many there are like it
- How much someone is willing to pay for it.
Let me turn that around and ask you, “How much are you worth?” The answer can be found by taking a look at the responses to those same three questions:
- Who made you? The greatest Artist in the universe–God!
- How many are there like you? Only one—you are unique.
- How much was someone willing to pay for you? God was willing to give the very life of His only Son to give you a relationship with Himself. That’s how valuable you are!!
Don’t feel it?
In his book Becoming Who God Intended, David Eckman pictures God explaining it to us:
“My Son is dying for you because you are worth a Son to Me.”[i] Incredible!
Listen to this from Romans chapter 5: “We can understand someone dying for a person worth dying for, and we can understand how someone good and noble could inspire us to selfless sacrifice. But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him (Romans 5:7, 8 MSG).
God wants to have a close and intimate relationship with you right where you are. So don’t put yourself down. Instead, lift your head high and remind yourself that God says you are a piece of art that is amazingly valuable to Him. Really knowing that can change your whole day–and your life!
Share with us a time when you knew God loves you?